This work was not originally mine for I received this old cross stitch from my old nanny last year. She picked up this unfinished work from her neighbor's dumpster. It was almost finished for it only lacked the white part in his hair. If only the original stitcher could have finished her work years ago. As always, this work did not fit completely in my scanner.
So to do her justice, I have managed to used over a spool of white thread. The remaining had go for a slightly different white color but looked the same.
At first glance of the fabric, the stitcher used a light blue 11-count fabric which the edges were taped in masking tape 1 centimeter wide. As for how the threads were sewn, she probably went for 6 counts of thread per needle which really is thick that it looked like a tapestry carpet. So I had to emulate that thickness and used a thicker needle with a bigger hole which is why I've ran out of white thread so easily.
I imagined that the stitcher used many spools of threads to achieve that look even though there were a few colors used here.
So here is a masterpiece honored to a friend who worked so hard on this work many years ago.